OkonomiDev
Monday, March 03, 2003
      ( 9:39 AM ) Matt  


Lately I've been reading more papers about wavelets. It seems to be a pretty hot topic in the Image Processing journals. A lot of the nifty papers aren't freely available, but I found this one which is pretty cool. They show a way to generate lossless integer wavelet transforms. I have to admit that I don't really grok the whole thing yet.


What I really want to find is an algorithmicly efficient way of computing a wavelet which is better than the Haar wavelet. The problem with Haar is that the pixels are paired so that A and B know about eachother, but B doesn't know anything about C. This causes some ugly edge artifacts when you compress, and it means that translated images have very different wavelet moments than an untranslated image. This makes image similarity algorithyms dependant on exactly where objects are located in the image.

# -




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:


Dreams I have...

Powered by Blogger
Feel free to e-mail me.

free hit counter